Try my online test for German speakers for free
Why should I work on my English pronunciation
Chances are that pronunciation work wasn’t a large, or any, part of your English lessons at school. Learning grammar and vocabulary was probably the driving force behind the curriculum, but does this mean that work on how to speak English and not just what is a waste of time. I don’t think so, and I’ll tell you why.
- You can have a large vocabulary and excellent use of grammar, but still not be understood when you speak because of poor pronunciation.
- How you speak is one of the first things people pick up on when they meet you. If they find you difficult to understand when you meet it might leave a lasting bad impression.
- Poor pronunciation is a barrier to communication and can cause unnecessary complications that wouldn’t otherwise have been an issue.
- Other languages’ intonation, how the voice goes up and down in pitch, is different to English intonation. Using the wrong intonation when speaking English can make you difficult to understand or even sound rude.
- Leaning about word and sentence stress as well as the use of weak word forms can help you to understand and eventually master rapid speech.
These are just a few benefits of learning more about English pronunciation. But what now? How do you know what you need to work on?
I have developed an online English pronunciation test for native German speakers. As it’s still in its beta form I’m offering free feedback and an action plan for the first few people who do it. Send me an email to email@example.com to find out if it’s right for you. I’ve developed this test using research into the mistakes that German speakers make when speaking English. I’m sorry, if German’s not your native language this test isn’t for you.
Looking forward to hearing from you!